Sunday, April 22, 2012

Petunia flower cake

I made this cake with no particular design in mind. I bought a set of petunia cutters last year that I haven't used. And as always I was itching to make sugar flowers. I wanted to make something simple and pretty and this cake accomplished just that.


I made the petunias the night before as it needs to dry completely. To make the flowers I used the cutters purchased from Scott Woolley http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/ His cutters are sharp and cuts through gumpaste flawlessly. To maintain their shape I let them dry on an egg crate foam as shown. Another option will be to dry them in an egg carton.


I applied luster dust on each flower to define its lines. Sugar pearls were added to the middle as the bud with scant amount of sugar glue. Each flower was randomly placed on the cake and royal icing was used to attach the petunias on the cake as it provides a stronger hold. The lavender silk ribbon of course completed the look.

Petunias are such pretty little flowers. I'm looking forward to using them more often. Now on to the next sugar flower...

No comments:

Post a Comment