Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vertical Ruffle Cake

My husband is my biggest fan. Always pushing me to finish a cake when I've given up, listens without hesitation about baking and gives me his honest opinion on my creations. So when he requested a "simple cake WITHOUT fondant" I couldn't turn him down. But how can I be creative with a simple cake and frosting? The result is this ruffle cake....


You can take this cake to any party and it's so simple to make! The cake is covered with my favorite frosting, Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It's not too sweet and oh so silky smooth. The secret to creating the ruffles is to use TIP #104 (petal tip). Take your time and practice. It took me 3 tries before I can create a decent line of ruffle. They might not look perfect but don't sweat it! Heck they're meant to be  ruffles after all! *You can also make this cake with horizontal ruffles.

Here's a picture of the cake without the gumpaste flower...as you can see the cake looks unfinished without it.


Why a blue flower you ask? The gumpaste flower is something I decided to add to draw attention away from the inconsistent line of ruffles. Ha! It worked didn't it? Although the cake is not as perfect as I'd like it to be I'm happy with the overall look. I hope you do too :D

No comments:

Post a Comment