Sunday, April 8, 2012

White peony and purple hydrangeas on chocolate.

I've been working on Peony gumpaste flowers for quite sometime now and I'm so happy to have finally made a great looking one! Months of frustration, reading and watching tutorials that didn't work and LOTS of wasted gumpaste have finally paid off! Woohoo! It's not perfect but it's getting there. So here it is... my finished closed white peony along with purple hydrangeas and filler flowers on chocolate...

My inspiration for this cake is the amazing sugar artist Jacqueline Butler of Petalsweet Cakes. Her gumpaste flowers are amazing and I could only wish to be as good as her one day. You can  check out her blog at www.petalsweet.blogspot.com.

A close up of the closed Peony...

Although some of the tutorials I've read provided me with helpful tips none of them actually worked for me. I used both peony and rose petal cutters. The bud is a 1 1/2 inch styrofoam ball (you can also use a different bud). I didn't use a specific number of petals and just kept adding them on until it looked right. I will give you more specifics next time I try. You can add or reduce the number of petals depending on how large you want your flower. An open peony could also be done. That will be my next project.

Another picture...


I was smiling from ear to ear as I assembled the flowers on the cake. This is one cake I'm certainly proud of. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment